Friday, November 6, 2009

Erin's article from today in the Herald about being State Plater of the Year

OK OK..... i know the Erin posts are getting a little out of control! But i'm so proud of her and i want to make sure i'm keeping things documented. I love this article because she's getting interviewed for being the state player of the year, it's all about her. But she credits not only her setters and teammates, but mentions how grateful she is to be chosen among so many other amazing players in the state. I am so proud of how great of an athlete she is, but most of all i am so proud of the person she is and how she handles herself in her interviews with so much grace and integrity, so humble yet with so much self worth.
I love you so much Booey Bug!!!! And i am so proud of the young woman you have become!!


Kirby named 4A volleyball Player of the Year



Erin Kirby knocks down a kill past Green River?s Julie Oliver in the second game of the state championship match last Saturday. HERALD PHOTO/Kurt Ritzman

Erin Kirby, a senior middle hitter , was named the 4A state volleyball Player of the Year at last weekend's state tournament.
"I was excited because it was my goal from when I was a sophomore to do it by the time I was a senior so that was nice," Kirby said. "It makes me feel good. There are a lot of other really good players. I would watch them and see how good they were. It's cool that coaches see me play and think that about me."
Kirby was a large part of Evanston's 21-6 season that ended with a runner-up finish.
She led the state in Class 4A with 396 kills and 189 solo blocks. She also finished the season with a hitting efficiency of 44 percent, which was second among those finishing the season in the top 10 in kills per game. The third place hitting efficiency in the top 10 was 27 percent.
"I like to block. I worked on blocking a lot when I was a sophomore . I went to a lot of camps this summer and learned a lot," Kirby said. "I was good at blocking, but I couldn't hit as well. I just worked on what I knew I needed to get better at. I worked on the fundamental skills and I gained more confidence."
That hard work and confidence paid off. Kirby had two games with 25 kills one against Natrona and one against Green River. She also had 17 blocks in a match against Star Valley.
"I tried to have a good attitude on the court and be a team player," Kirby said. She also gave credit to the team's setters, Abbey Ehlers and Jessica Chandler.
"They are great setters. They helped me get better with my hitting because I didn't have to adjust too much," Kirby said. "They'd get a good set and I'd get a good hit and it would help with confidence."
Kirby said getting a good set allowed her to do more, or different, things with her kills because she didn't have to make big adjustments just to get to the ball.
"After Monday, I was thinking about (the season). We've enjoyed the whole journey. This year was way fun. We came a long way from last year and we still made history," Kirby said. "It was a good year."

0 comments: